Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baking With Warm Spices Makes You Feel Toasty.


Last night I decided to bake a carrot cake as the rain started coming down outside making the autumn evening feel a little cooler. I love baking with warm smelling spices on cool days. Keeps you feeling toasty and comforted. I came across this recipe on Cat Can Cook and decided to try it. I doubled the recipe thinking I would make 2 cakes, but I really didn't need to double it...it made LOTS! Oh well, I am eating for two right? Ha ha ha!! I will have to freeze one which I am sure I will be thankful for later. Boy...I am starting to think I need a small deep freeze. We are running out of room in our fridge freezer.

You will need:
4 Eggs
1 Cup White Sugar (because I use organic cane sugar, I omitted about 1/4 cup)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
3 Cups Grated Raw Carrots
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Nuts (optional – and omit if serving to small kids)
I also added about 1/3 cup sunflower seeds


Beat eggs well in a large bowl, and add sugars in gradually, beating until light. Beat in oil. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir into egg mixture. Stir in carrots, raisins and nuts and seeds (if using). Pour into a greased and floured 13X9 pan, and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!




And then I topped my cake with a simple cinnamon butter cream icing.
D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!

No comments: